The SVM Viscometer™ covers a wide measuring range with one measuring cell and provides precision comparable to gravimetric capillary viscometers. Due to a built-in density measuring cell the instrument gives dynamic and kinematic viscosity readings. Such viscometers are not influenced by vibrations. Further features are low sample volume, fast thermoelectric temperature equilibrium and compact design.
- Measured quantities: Rotational speed, frequency
- Calculated quantities: Dynamic viscosity, kinematic viscosity, density
Further calculated parameters are Viscosity Index, API number, API extrapolated density and specific gravity, Saybolt viscosity values according to ASTM D2161, extrapolated viscosity according to ASTM D341 and, in combination with a refractometer, carbon type composition (ASTM D2140) and carbon type distribution (ASTM D3238).
Learn more about how the SVM Viscometer™ works.
This viscometer type provides a wide measuring range. Optimum precision is specified for the works adjustment range. Special adjustments - either for a low or a high temperature range - or calibration correction points for exact single temperatures customize the instrument for specific applications.
- Viscosity measuring range - one cell for the entire range: 0.2 mPa.s to 30,000 mPa.s | 0.2 mm²/s to 30,000 mm²/s
- Works adjustment range - for temperatures > 15°C (59°F): 1 mPa.s to approx. 1000 mPa.s
- Repeatability: 0.1 %
- Reproducibility: 0.35 % (attested at points of works adjustment or at calibration correction points; uncertainty of used reference standard oil not included)
- Temperature measuring range:
- SVM™ 3001: -60°C to +135°C (-76°F to +275°F)
- SVM™ 2001/4001: 15°C to 100°C (59°F to 212°F)
Sample throughput - max./hour for manual operation:
- Distillate fuel, ultrafast test, single determination, no prewetting: 30
- Engine oil, precise test, repeated determinations, prewetting: 10
- Low viscosity base oil, Viscosity Index determination with double cell apparatus SVM™ 4001, ultrafast test, single determination, no prewetting, sample displacement: 24
- Engine oil, ultraprecise test, repeated determinations, pretwetting: 7.5
- This viscometer has built-in thermoelectric heating and cooling (Peltier elements).
- For measurements between -20°C (-4°F) up to +135°C (+275°F) no additional thermostat is required.
- For measurements below -20°C (-4°F) an additional circulation cooler is required for counter cooling.
- Typical sample volume for manual operation: 5 mL
- Suitable for transparent and opaque samples. Samples must be free of particles > 200 µm and free of magnetic particles.
- Ideally suited for all petrochemical samples (from jet fuel to heavy fuel oil), but also wax or natural oils.
Standards and Norms
ASTM D7042, ASTM D396, ASTM D975, ASTM D1250, ASTM D1655, ASTM D2161, ASTM D2270, ASTM D2501, ASTM D2502, ASTM D2880, ASTM D4052, ASTM D4054, ASTM D5002, ASTM D6074, ASTM D6448, ASTM D6823, ASTM D7152, ASTM D7566, ASTM D7666, ASTM D7720, ASTM D8046, API 2540, CPTC SH/T 0604-2000 eqv. ISO 12185, DIN 51659-2, GB T 29617-2013, IP 200, IP 365, ISO 12185, ISO 2909, ISO 91, SH T 0870-2013,SH T 3518-2013, DEFSTAN 91-91, EN 16896, JIG AFQRJOS
|Viscometer type||SVM Viscometer™|
|Measuring principle||SVM Viscometer™|
|Measured quantity||rotational speed, frequency|
|Calculated quantity||dynamic/kinematic viscosity, density|
|Viscosity range - min||0.2 mPa.s|
|Viscosity range - max||30,000 mPa.s|
|Temperature - min||-60°C|
|Temperature - max||+135°C|
|Liquid bath thermostat required||no (counter cooling for temperatures < -20°C|
|Temperature change with same filling||yes|
|Sample volume - typical||5 mL|
|Solvent volume - typical||7.5 mL|
|Sample throughput - max / h||30 (ultrafast test, single determination)|
|Measuring accuracy||< 1 %|
|Shear rate control||no|
|Shear rate calculation||yes|
|Lab space||< 0.25 m²|
|Standards and norms||ASTM D7042, ASTM D4052, ASTM D396, ASTM D975, ASTM D1655, ASTM D2270, ASTM D2502, ASTM D2880, ASTM D6074, ASTM D6448, ASTM D6823, ASTM D7152, ASTM D7566, ASTM D7666, EN 16896, ISO 12185|
We offer typical values which are based on the values in brochures and standards but are not related to specific instruments.