Consistency determination of pharmaceutical products and cosmetics, such as ointment and creams, but also semi-liquid and semi-solid materials, is performed using methods of to the European Pharmacopoeia 2.9.9, the US Pharmacopoeia, and the WHO (UN-World Health Organization).
According to the European Pharmacopoeia Method 2.9.9 two different test kits can be used:
- Type 1 – test kit hollow-cone (like the ASTM D217 grease test and ASTM D937 petrolatum test)
- Type 2 – micro-cone test kit
The advantages of the micro-cone kit compared to the hollow-cone kit are:
- Small sample volume – micro cup ≈4 mL (version 1 cup ≈275 mL); ideally suited for samples of limited availability
- Easy air-bubble-free filling is possible
- Shorter tempering time (because of small volume)
- Easy cleaning because of low solvent consumption, therefore environmentally friendly
- Better reproducibility and repeatability
- Wide consistency range
The penetrometer is further used with different test kits for other medical products and cosmetics such as balm, gel, gelatin products, dental plastic paste, bone cement, soap, toothpaste, lotion, make-up, powder blush, compact powder, eye shadow, lipstick, mascara, and hair styling wax/gel.